Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas in My Heart

It’s so funny that I have not felt so christmasy this whole December as I would normally be back home. Perhaps, the pressure of work, and the fact that this is a Muslim country, really made me not so excited about the coming holidays. I had my share of holiday breaks BEFORE Christmas, when Eid Al Adha came and gave us 5 days break, 3 days before Chriistmas. Then we’ll be back to work for 2 days and take another leave (for Christians only) during Christmas.
It was only today that I felt the season coming in to me. A Filipino office mate came up to me and gave me chocolates. He is usually the person who I share my “sugar free” stuff with, another dieter. J Someone who would shake his head when he sees me eating non-diet stuff. But this time, he just said “Merry Christmas!” and said that today is an exemption, we can eat normal, sugar laden chocolates! And it came from my favorite chocolate shop called Patchi (thanx Marx!).
It was only then that I felt the true meaning of the season.
Since I am away in a foreign land, with only one Catholic church in the area, I have tried to dismiss the fact that I cannot celebrate Christmas like I used to. There is no Christmas Bonus, nor 13th Month Pay, or Christmas parties and kris kringles… No long vacations (well, except for Eid) nor aguinaldos…
It would be so weird! But then,
Christmas is celebrated in our hearts!
Eventhough my family is away and is usually busy at this time of the year for parties and gift giving, I would not be sad.
Because I know in my heart, I am there (on webcam!).
Merry Christmas to everyone back home!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

merry CHRISTmas Valerie!!!

i miss you, my dear friend!

mwah!!!

Anonymous said...

It's hard to feel the Christmas spirit at a different place as everythig is just so... different.
Enjoy it anyway and the chocolates, too!