Friday, November 23, 2007

Food trip no. 2

Like I've said, I have decided to document all the food that I eat here in Dubai. Much to the enjoyment of my dad, who I always share my stories and to make them feel envious of my love for food. Lately I am fascinated with Kebabs.
Kebab (also transliterated as kabab, kebap, kabob, kibob) refers to a
variety of grilled/broiled meat dishes in Middle Eastern, Central Asian and
South Asian cuisines. Kebabs usually consist of lamb and beef, though particular
styles of kebab have chicken or fish. Pork is never used for kebabs by Muslims
or Jews because of the religious prohibition on the meat, but is sometimes used
by non-Halal or non-Kosher sellers.

So for the past week, I've had two kinds of Kebab lunch and dinner. Both are chicken because I prefer them than mutton or lamb.
The first one is from an Iranian fastfood called Noón Kebab. I tried the plain kind and one is marinated in yoghurt. Yoghurt is very popular in arabic and indian dishes as well. This entire meal is priced at 19 dirhams... not bad. It comes with rice (which I didn't like). I was hoping they have the arabic bread instead. But I forgot to ask. :)

Just last night, for dinner, I went to a nearby hypermarket and I was looking for something to eat. I came across this section where you can get raw kebabs to take home or you can ask them to cook it for you then take it home. So I chose 3 varieties of chicken... in tomato, hot and spicy and in yoghurt. They ended up tasting the same to me. But it's cheaper, costing 5 dirhams per skewer. So 15 dirhams in all, with hummus, bread and garlic sauce (which turned out to be mayonaise). It also had a serving of fries on the side.
Not too bad huh?

The verdict? I am still looking for the perfect kebab... I definitely need to eat a lot more of these.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The food photos are really coming out great, dearest sister. Keep it up! Would love to see more